Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Crap to God to McDaid

So when we were deciding what MAM would be, both Scotty and I were clear that we wanted to give you, the reader, the most bang for your buck...and what says bang for your buck like 12 different incentive covers . We figured, how 'bout a cover within a cover and this one wouldn't even have that pesky (albeit awesome) logo-text.

The our search began for the perfect guy to do the cover for us. I'd been hounding Danny McDaid to work with me for a couple years at that point and with his ever increasing workload it was looking less and less likely that we'd be able to work on a full project together. The fate smiled and dropped a whopper of a good idea in my lap. Scotty loved Dan's stuff too, so there was very little decisioning to be done at that point.
At the time, Scotty was blazing through "Ambush..." pages and I decided to do a rough design as a framework for Danny's cover. By rough, I mean horrid horrid crap. I told Scotty what I though would look cool and showed him my scribbles, he cleaned up the idea and gave it depth and drama.

So I sent my blathering about a character montage and our images across the pond to Danny and he eventually sent us back this inktastic wonder that adorns the Spring 2009 issue.

-matt

1 comment:

scottygod said...

That cover might be my most favorite thing ever.